Saturday 29 June 2013

farewell Greece, ciao Italia (again!)!

With a lovely month-long holiday all but over, it was time for me to say farewell to Gina and Carla and make my way back to Italy, where I'll be spending roughly two months teaching English to school children at summer camps around the country.

Heading back to Italy meant taking two flights, a 30 minute flight to Athens and then about two and a half hours to Milan.

As I collected my bag at Athens International to check in for my second flight, I noticed it had been damaged in transit :-(


I was so annoyed! Especially as I only had a couple of hours to catch my next flight and I knew it would be a hassle to get compensated, especially with the language barrier. I reported the damage to the luggage desk, which offered me a replacement but it wasn't big enough or good enough as I'd spent a lot of money on my suitcase before leaving New Zealand.

My only other option was to submit a report, which was going to be a pain as I was leaving Greece in a little under two hours, but I decided to go with this option, have my suitcase shrink wrapped for my next flight and hopefully find a decent case in Milan and be reimbursed by Aegean Airlines.

So I arrived in Milan and found my hotel, close to the metro, before heading out to check out the shops in the hope of finding a case.... bad call! Milan is the shopping capital of the world and because of this, a) I didn't even know where to start and b) everything was ridiculously expensive!

The trip into town wasn't a total waste though, as I came across the Milan Duomo, which I probably wouldn't have made the effort to see otherwise, but it was actually a really breathtaking sight to see upon emerging from the metro. It's the fifth largest cathedral in the world and the largest in Italy - it took nearly 600 years to complete!


The next morning, I met up with some girls at Centrale station who I'd met on Facebook, and we headed to San Remo together to begin our week long orientation, where we would (hopefully!) learn everything we needed to know about teaching English to Italian kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment