Monday 29 July 2013

asolo.

With one camp under my belt, I headed for the small town of Asolo, only half an hour from Caldogno, for my first two-week camp. Again it was a small camp with only three tutors - Liza from the USA and Eva from Ireland.

We unexpectedly met on the train, which was nice, and were greeted at the Castelfranco train station by our lovely host families. My host family was made up of four sons!! Aged three, six, 10 and 13, and their wonderful parents, Francesco and Francesca.

Being hosted by Francesco and Francesca was a real treat, as Francesca studied English at university and speaks English impeccably. Also, Francesco's relatives from Australia, Elsa and Glenn, were staying with the family too, so it was nice to hear a familiar accent and speak with people for whom English is their first language.

On my second day, the family along with Francesco's parents and Elsa and Glen took a trip to an Agroturismo, a beautiful vineyard which produces all its food on site, growing vegetables, farming their own meat and the food was AMAZING. Mostly antipasto: meats, veges, bruschetta and pasta and it was divine. The region is known for Prosecco, a type of sparkling white wine, so there was plenty of Prosecco to go around, both at lunch and for the following month at two host families!


The beautiful view of the Agroturismo

The home, although super chaotic, was very welcoming and friendly, and although the younger boys could not speak any English at all, it was still fun to hang out and play football and video games. The six-year-old, Federico, loved to chat away to me, unaware that I haven't got a clue about what he's saying, and no matter how many times I would tell him (in Italian) that I don't speak Italian, he would still sit there and chat away, trying to help by speaking reeealllyyyy slowly, teach me little games and get me to pick him up.


Federico's favourite game - holding himself up by his fists in my hands

The 10-year-old, Fabio, was in my camp group and although he is quieter than his younger brothers, he's a super sweet boy and really made progress throughout the two weeks.


Our camp director, Barbara, was really enthusiastic and organised all kinds of trips for us tutors after camp, so that we could see the local area and experience all of the little towns nearby. She also took us to Venice on the weekend and the beach, Jesolo, which was a fantastic, relaxing day.


Eva, Liza and Me on the Rialto Bridge in Venice


Venetian traffic jam


The walled town of Castelfranco

All three host families were friends, so on the nights there was nothing planned, we often ended up either bumping into each other planning evenings together. On my first night in Asolo we walked up to the historic town, where the locals were partaking in an annual tradition where groups of young men dress up like Romans and tow a carriage with a lady in it up this massive hill to the fortress, was so fun and you would think the team that won had won the football World Cup the way the singing and chanting and cheering went on for hours!


Dinner one evening with all the host families


With three of my four host brothers - Fabrizio, Federico and Fabio


My camp group before the final show


My very talented host mother Francesca made a beautiful cake for our final show


Tutors and camp director after the final show


Ice creams on my last day at the Pellizzers'


With my host father, Francesco

I had such a great time in Asolo, with a beautiful, welcoming family and was kind of reluctant to leave... but I didn't have a choice and the next destination was only 20 minutes away!

No comments:

Post a Comment