Tuesday 28 May 2013

birthday on the other side of the world

Waking up on your birthday when you're on the other side of the world and don't know anyone near you is an interesting experience! After a nice sleep in and reading a bunch of happy birthday messages from friends and family, I packed up all my stuff, checked out and headed to "Gyros Place" to treat myself to gyros for lunch. 

With about three hours to kill before my ferry to Paros, I headed down to the beach, ordered a cocktail and stretched out on one of the sun loungers despite the stormy sky, and just chilled out and read a book.


Ahead of me was a four-hour ferry to Paros, then a bus trip and another ferry to reach Antiparos where I'd be spending the next two weeks and two days with Michael, Rach, Jake, and later on Mike's parents and sisters. I arrived about 9pm and Mike and Rach spoiled me with a birthday cake and presents - it finally felt like my birthday!


After a few beers on the patio, Mike and I headed to the Houghtons' favourite Antiparos hangout - Remember Bar, where we spent a few hours catching up and enjoying the music, beer and free shots. 


On a Wednesday night, on an island with a population of 1,000 before the summer crowds have hit, we were the only ones in the bar and it stayed open until we left, about 2.30am and after only spending 26 Euros between us! 


1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday Jo,we were all thinking of you on the day!

    ReplyDelete